[mythtv-users] Comcast CableCard Info

Tom Bongiorno two.bits.11 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 18:06:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Tom Bongiorno <two.bits.11 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What does activation have to do with the OS?
>
> As far as I know, nothing. However, as I previously stated, I didn't
> have any luck getting it authorized until I put it in my Windows box.
> That may have just been coincidental. As I also previously mentioned,
> I had changed the Ceton's IP address before I got my cablecard.
> Although using the different IP worked perfectly fine both before I
> got my cablecard  (in QAM mode) and after I got the cable card finally
> authorized, perhaps there is some bug or undocumented "feature" that
> prevents the pairing from completing when there is an alternate IP
> set. Or maybe it is a bug that prevents the pairing from completing
> under linux. Or maybe my cable company was just having issues with
> their system and they didn't realize it. I have no idea exactly what
> the cause was (since I have to way to try to replicate this). All I
> provided was a single data point with my experiences. If someone can
> try it and get it authorized in linux, then we'll know using windows
> isn't the key.
>

> --
> Ron Frazier

I will have my Ceton card tomorrow, but the CableCard may be another story.
I will attempt to install the card, install the drivers, update the
firmware, and access the card's webpage.  I may have to schedule a truck
roll since the local office says that they will not have any CCs until 8/1.
I will certainly post my Linux-only experience as it unfolds.  Wish me luck.

-Tom