[mythtv-users] LIRC stopped recognizing remote with system upgrade

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:07:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2011, at 4:57 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> wrote:
> > On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:52 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com>
> wrote:

> to use mythbuntu 10.10 without kernel updates and lirc =<0.8.7
> > >
> > > That TBS issue completely slipped my mind[*]. I'm reasonably sure it
> was
> > > not actually rc-core that broke anything, but rather, an unrelated
> > > commit that got into the kernel about the same time rc-core did. See
> > > here for reference:
> > >
> > > https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/930442/
> > >
> > > In short, I bet its MSI that was horking up their card.
> > >
> > > [*] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/482986
> > >

> > > Is it at all possible that the mceusb driver is interfering (sometimes)
> with audio recording from the HD-PVR?
> >
> > Highly unlikely, unless you're saturating the bus, but then its not
> really
> > mceusb interfering so much as it is you asking too much of a slow bus. I
> > presume the HD-PVR *is* plugged into a USB 2.0 port?...
> >
> > I presume that as well :)
> >
> > At least, I haven't had any issue with audio in a long long time, and
> this is with no hardware changes, just the software upgrade.  Thinking about
> it some more, the audio and the video are probably all mixed together in the
> mpeg stream coming from the HD-PVR, so it seems unlikely that audio would be
> affected and not video if it was a software/hardware issue with the usb
> driver/usb port.
>
> Oh, duh, right. Yeah, audio and video would have been muxed together
> at the HD-PVR side before USB even got involved.
>

> > However, I did find this:
> > which sounds similar to my issue, so I'll try that tonight and see if it
> makes a difference.  Maybe slight timing changes in the new kernel, etc,
> caused this to surface.
>
> Sounds plausible. It'd be a kernel bug if that's the case, so please do
> let us know the outcome.

No audio issues since I tweaked the channel change script as mentioned in
the linked thread, although I used a 2 second rather than 4 second wait.
 What is happening is that maybe twice now, I've lost communication with the
HD-PVR.  Repowering it restored communication.  I read something in an old
thread about the IR transmitting feature of the HD-PVR possibly causing
problems, so I put in the modprobe option to disable that, since I don't use
that feature anyway.  Too soon to say whether it made any difference.

-Jerry