[mythtv-users] what is the cat's ass of integrated "set top box" like hardware now?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Fri Jul 22 08:34:22 UTC 2011

On 21/07/2011 22:16, Chris Finley wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net
> <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>
>     On 21/07/2011 14:14, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>      > Is the ION2 a very capable VDPAU chipset?  It does seem to be a
>      > "features C" chipset, with "D" being the only higher rating.  Is it
>      > capable of the most advanced/aggressive de-interlacing @1920x1080?
>
>     I thought I'd read that ION2 was slower than the original ION because
>     of some problem getting information out of Intel necessary for
>     getting a fast connection between the graphics chip and the CPU.
>     Can't remember where I read it now.
>
>     Paul.
>

> Ion versus Ion Next Gen
> Here is a great article on the subject:
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotacs-zbox-hdid11-review-next-gen-ion-better-worse-than-ion1
>
> "NVIDIA plans to release an updated driver in June that fixes the
> problem by executing more of the Flash loop on the GPU itself, thus
> avoiding that costly trip to system memory.
> This is a big enough problem today where if you plan on watching any
> Flash videos in anything other than a 480p window (or slightly larger),
> I'd hold off on a NG-ION purchase."
>
> I don't know if recent drivers have fixed the performance problem with
> flash.
>
> I have a Zotac Ion Next gen that runs minimyth, the performance with
> H.264 (1080p) has been great. I don't play anything that needs flash.

Interesting. I don't use flash either, so I guess I could go for next
gen. So can your system use the Advanced x2 deinterlacer? And how about
the hq scaler?

OT: I'm a minimyth user too. I tried 0.24.1-78b1 and had problems with
playback glitches with any of BBC HD's transmissions that were
truly in 1920x1080 (they tend to use 1440x1080 most of the time).
I had to role back to 0.24.1-77. Have you noticed any similar
problems.

Cheers,
	Paul.