[mythtv-users] Thinking of adding DirecTV, have questions

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 21:23:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Andrew Theurer
<andrew.theurer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I currently have 2 HD-HR's for local channels, but I would like to
> have a little more content.  I think DirecTV would be my first choice.
> I would want at least 2 HD tuners.  Is there anything I should watch
> out for?  I assume I need 2 HD-PVR's.  It looks like I might need a
> couple coax to toslink audio adapters, depending on the STB's I get
> from DirecTV.  I would like to use http to change channels on the
> STB's.  Is there something I am missing?  Any issue with using 2
> HD-PVRs to a single back-end?  Any issues to watch out for with USB?
> How is the quality of 1080i recordings?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Andrew

Just a quick note about the http control:
One of the original functions of the interface was to get the
recordings list from the DVR. This is being removed soon, and has
already been disabledin the latest cutting edge versions of the STB
software. While not directly related to mythtv, it could be an
indication that DIRECTV's support for the http interface is flagging
and you might run into a situation where you would need an IR blaster
in the future.
That said, for the near future, it looks like the ability to directly
tune a channel without having to break it up into separate simulated
remote keypresses is still there.
--Justin