[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Jul 20 13:04:30 UTC 2011

> I am running Mythbuntu 11.04 with .24-fixes, and have never compiled MythTV.
>  I am not sure what the steps would be.  git, make, make install?  Probably
> not that easy.

I've never used mythbuntu, much less done a custom build on it. I did
some brief looking around, and it appears that a lot of it is handled
for you. Here is the basic overview I got from here:

1) apt-get build-dep mythtv
2) apt-get source mythtv
3) apt-get install devscripts
4) dch -i (put some comments in about what you changed. In the version
number, use the old version number plus a +local1 or something
similar. This will make sure that you're version is marked newer, but
that if an even "newer" version came out, you can still get it.
5) Try to apply the patch. If it applies cleanly, unapply it and put
it in debian/patches.
6) Update the debian/patches/00list to include the patch
7) debuild
8) You should get some binaries out.

Is it really this simple? I don't know. If you'd like, I could try and
give it a shot on my dev box and see how it works. I'm assuming it
won't be too much work for me to do a very basic install of Mythbuntu,
and that I can just get the installer started, let it do its thing,
and then do the patching. I've already taken my Ceton card out of my
dev box and put it in my production system, so I won't be able to do a
full test, but I can compile in the code and see if I get the new code
in mythtv-setup and get the appropriate errors in the backend log
about not being able to connect to the card.

--
Ron Frazier