[mythtv-users] Hauppauge USB CableCard Tuner for $129!

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Jul 20 12:42:00 UTC 2011

> I have Comcast and I discovered Comedy Central HD has CCI = 0x02.  Obviously that's
> not copy freely and I know from experience that I can't record to MythTV from Comedy
> Central HD so that does fit.

That's a shame. 0x02 is "Copy Once", which means Windows Media Center
is the only software that can record that channel. It makes no sense
that they would set it that way. Most comcast users seem to report
that all the non-premium channels are 0x00 (Copy Freely). I would
imagine that Comcast's licensing agreements with the stations are done
on a company wide basis rather than each individual region negotiating
their own contracts. Based on this assumption, there would be no legal
reason for any Comcast franchise to mark it as anything but Copy
Freely. So either they are doing it out of an "abundance of caution"
(ie: they're too lazy to bother figuring out what the legitimate
setting should be, so they play it safe) or for malicious reasons (ie:
they want you to pay them more money, so they sabotage your ability to
use your own DVR). People like us aren't a very big market segment, so
I think the lazy explanation is more likely.

If you are in Michigan, Illinois, or Ohio, see if WOW has cable
service in your market. Their company wide stance is currently to mark
everything as copy freely except for premium & ppv channels.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on where to read more about the values I might see in the CCI Flag field?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

Although there are 6 codes listed there, I think in practice you
likely won't see anything but 0x00, 0x02, and 0x03 (Copy
Freely/Once/Never).

--
Ron Frazier