[mythtv-users] *MUTTER* LIRC on a Fresh Mythbuntu 11.04 with Serial Receiver

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 20:34:51 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Cédric Schieli <cschieli at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have nearly the same setup (homebrew serial receiver and Ubuntu
> 11.04), so I should be able to help.
> What kernel package are you using ? The lirc_serial.ko is compiled in
> the generic one :
>
> cedric at salon:~$ dpkg -S lirc_serial.ko
> linux-image-2.6.38-8-generic:
> /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/lirc/lirc_serial.ko
>
> Regards,
> Cédric
>
> 2011/7/19 Douglas Wagner <douglasw0 at gmail.com>:

> >> I can't help you with the specific lirc_serial problem, but this
> >> should give you a pointer or two on what to search for:
> >> http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >> Kenni
> >
> > Yea, unfortunately that page tells me that things have changed, but
> there's
> > absolutely no mention of a Serial IR Receiver in there at all.
> > Seems EVERYONE now has the mceusb hardware and no one seems to be using a
> > straight serial IR receiver at this point since every posting i've seen
> > recently has been mceusb based.
> > ANYONE out there using serial IR at this point or should I be looking
> into a
> > new IR receiver for some of this?
> > Recommendations?  I've got 2 remotes (1 a standard learning remote the
> other
> > one of the logitech programmables) that I need to make work with this
> system
> > and really no clue anymore about what I should be looking at.
> > --Doug

Yea, I'm using 2.6.38-10 Generic is what I'm booted into.  When I was trying
to start lirc the other night I kept getting a couldn't load on that driver,
though I do see it in place in my other 11.04 system.

I went ahead and installed the lirc-drivers-source package and did a rebuild
on it and I have LIRC loaded at this point (the remote still doesn't work,
but I've at least got some tools to look at that) so we'll see what happens.

I did run across a place that basically said "don't load the lirc drivers
source package unless you really know what you're doing" so I'm hoping
something didn't get mucked up here.

I'll work with it and post back if there's more problems.  If you know of a
good way to back out to "default" (can I just apt-get delete the source
package and / or reinstall the kernel package to bring me back to a
"default" configuration?) let me know.

--Douglas Wagner