[mythtv-users] Mythweb finds no remote controllable frontends

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 19 15:02:35 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 09:28 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> Ah, thanks for the explanation!
> So the frontends can have dynamic IPs if they can be resolved somehow in
> the network, e.g. from bind9.
> And the backends do always have to have static IPs.

Or, more specifically, we don't generally store any IP address
information about frontends in the database, so the closest we could do
is piggyback off the backend IP address setting.  However, this would
also require you to configure your DHCP server to assign static IP
addresses to the frontend hosts.

> If I understand you correct you want me to patch mythweb that it looks
> in the mysql database to resolve the frontend IP adresses?

Exactly.

> But I still don't understand how I could run mythtv-setup on the
> frontend since there's no mythtv-setup on my frontends?
> I must understand it wrong that I have to set my frontends to
> backend/frontend combos?
>
> Sorry for my slow understanding.

You'd need to install mythtv-setup (from whatever package your packager
makes it available).  This may well mean installing mythbackend, too.
However, you won't make your frontend into a backend/frontend
combo--that would imply you would actually /run/ mythbackend.  Instead,
you will only install mythtv-setup, run it on your frontend host, then
use that to set the IP address setting--as if you were configuring a
backend on the host.

Mike