[mythtv-users] hardware considerations: fast CPU vs nvidia/vdpau?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:36:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:

> On 11-07-18 11:36 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> >
> > the downside to the VDPAU solution is the VDPAU stutter issue which
> > from the looks of it the dev's still haven't quite figured out. so
> > going with a pure CPU decoding solution avoids that problem.
>
> No stutter here on three completely different systems with VDPAU.
> There are patches in trunk ("master") that alleviate the symptoms,
> so perhaps the devs think they've solved it for everyone (?).

Slightly OT, but what stutter issues?  Like when you start a recording/video
and the audio starts for a moment, then picture goes black (for screen
refresh rate change to 60/24Hz) then to "Please wait..."?  Or is it when you
bring up the OSD for the video/program?  If the latter, then I assumed the
lag was pulling the program info from the database?  Thanks!

Jim