[mythtv-users] Playback problems in iPlayer HD playback

John Reid johnbaronreid at netscape.net
Tue Jul 19 09:43:41 UTC 2011

On 19/07/11 10:00, David Watkins wrote:
> On 19 July 2011 09:12, John Reid<johnbaronreid at netscape.net>  wrote:
>> When I play HD content from BBC iPlayer I have some playback problems. I
>> don't know enough about it to describe it very well but I see horizontal
>> lines in the output, like the frames aren't being updated
>> properly/quickly enough.
> If it's lots of horizontal lines, like a the picture's been combed,
> then it's probably a deinterlacing issue.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
>
> If it's just a few horizontal lines, with the parts of the picture
> above and below the line slightly out of sync, then it could be
> 'tearing'.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing
Thanks. I think it is tearing.
> ... which help you google.
>
> I'd start by looking at the playback profile in mythfrontend setup.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Playback_profiles
I'll check this out. The problem is happening on watching iPlayer in a
web browser so I'm not sure this will fix it.

I found some more info:

john at htpc:~$ sudo lshw -C video
   *-display
        product: Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
        vendor: Intel Corporation
        physical id: 2
        bus info: pci at 0000:00:02.0
        version: 12
        width: 64 bits
        clock: 33MHz
        capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
        configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
        resources: irq:43 memory:fb000000-fb3fffff
memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f160(size=8)

I have the xserver-xorg-video-intel package installed which AFAICT
should be the right one. I've no idea how to check if it is being used.

Any help appreciated,
John.