[mythtv-users] Dishnetwork Dual receivers

Dan Wilson dwilson at solidstatesoftware.com
Sun Jul 17 23:55:36 UTC 2011

I have been using mythtv for several years now in So. California on
Time-Warner cable, and it has worked great for me! Thanks to all of the
devs!

Due to changing family situations, I have closed my southern California
apartment and now live full-time in our home in a rural area where we
get TV via Dish Network. We currently have a single analog receiver
connected directly to a TV. We intend to replace that TV with an HD TV
within the next couple of months.

I would like to get an HD dual receiver. The first channel on the
receiver is HD and uses an IR remote control, but the second channel
uses an RF remote. I will also likely get a second dual receiver to
replace the existing single receiver, either HD or analog. Dish charges
per receiver unit, not per receivers in a unit, so I can have 4 separate
recording channels for the price of a single extra receiver on my
monthly bill.

I could really get by with just one receiver box, but I am concerned
about maintaining a high WAF while I work the bugs out, so I'd rather
leave one receiver connected to the TV until I'm sure everything is
working well <grin>.

I have a Hauppauge duqal-receiver analog card (PVR-500) in my backend. I
thought that I could get a signal combiner that would take the feed from
two separate analog receivers and combine them into a single cable
connected to the analog card as long as I make sure each satellite
receiver is using a different analog channel to the TV. That should give
me two analog inputs.

For the HD input(s), I'm not sure what my best options are: get a PCI
card, use a USB unit, or go with the network approach. Any favorites?

I've seen a couple of RF transmitters online, but have no experience as
to which ones will work well with the Dish receivers. Has anyone
successfully used the dual receivers with Myth? My master backend has a
single serial port, but I think I'd prefer to use USB ports if possible.
I am assuming I'd need 3 transmitters - 2 IR and 1 RF?

Thanks for any help!

Dan.