[mythtv-users] mythnews lockups

Ismo Tanskanen ismot at telemail.fi
Sun Jul 17 16:52:56 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Raymond Wagner" <raymond [at] wagnerrp>

> On 7/16/2011 12:31, Ismo Tanskanen wrote:
> > I don't think it is the same, because my computer hardlocks
> > competely, and I can't use pkill. Also I don't see news feeds on the
> > left, it lockups right after executing mythnews.
>
> The only thing I know of in Linux that will prevent a 'kill -KILL'
> from working would be something deadlocked waiting for disk access.

...or in the driver for some other "fast" device, yes.

But, by "hard locks", Ismo, what exactly do you mean?  Mouse pointer stops
tracking?  Pings stop being responded to?  Powerswitch won't turn the machine
off?  Just how hard is "hard"?  Cause the most common cause for a lock that
people call "hard" is, um, "hard"ware.

If you haven't already done an overnight Memtest+ run, let me recommend that
you do so, and see what happens.  The Ultimate Boot CD has several other
diagnostic and stress test programs suitable for diagnosing this sort of
problem, as well.

Cheers,
-- jra

I use minimyth, so I don't have desktop or mouse access. "Hardlock" in this case means, that computer does not respond to ping and I can't telnet in. Remote does not work neither than irxevent events.  Power button does not work except "hard shutdown" when pressing in over four seconds. Even imon vfd display stops.

I am 100% sure it is not hardware problem. I have changed memory chip, and system is other than that rock solid.

I think it has something to do with vdpau or display adapter, because symptoms arrived when I added display adapter to pci-e bus to get vdpau working. With internal GF6200 adapter I didn't have lockups.
Maybe shared interrupt problem? I think that pci=nomsi kernel option should effect to shared interrupts. It really helps, but then I lost resume function :(

-K