[mythtv-users] Best distro for mythtv

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jul 14 11:25:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 07:01:18 -0400, Daniel Drummond
<dan.ddrummond at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using gentoo as my distro for 6 years. Seems like it takes
> forever for mythtv package to be released. I was wondering if there is a
> distro that's more aggressive in releasing mythtv packages?

Hopefully after six years, you realize Gentoo doesn't do packages.  It
does source, and something like Firefox is one of the rare exceptions of an
application that does a binary release.  Gentoo does source, with ebuilds
that describe how to use the source.  With the old subversion based
ebuilds, it was as simple as renaming the ebuild, digesting, and
installing.  Now with git, the update process is a bit more complicated,
however MythTV provides an overlay of ebuilds updated fairly regularly, and
a utility to facilitate updating ebuilds on your own.

https://github.com/MythTV/packaging/tree/master/Gentoo

The maintainer of the official portage ebuilds has been falling down on
keeping them updated, however recently contacted us about getting our
ebuilds periodically pushed into the general tree.