[mythtv-users] Suggested bitrate for transcoding HD Mpeg 2 to Mpeg 4

Robert Houghton robbadler at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 16:17:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Here is the script I wrote and use. It is mostly up to date and is
> currently
> > working in 0.24 from git
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/High_Quality_Transcode
>
> Finally got around to reinstalling ffmpeg with h264 and tried your script
> out.
>
> Just one initial observation as I do some tests...instead of a
> thumbnail of a frame from the show, the thumbnail is just grey. Is
> that something I can change?
>
> Just going to test it on another file...

Looking at my mythweb, it looks to depend on the recording. My mythcommflag
leaves in the blank frames between cuts, so I guess if a cut appears right
where the thumbnail is being generated, you are sol. Most of my entries that
were generated with the script have thumbnails, some don't. It doesn't look
channel dependent, or resolution dependent.