[mythtv-users] CentOS 6 released

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jul 11 18:26:41 UTC 2011

On Jul 11, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Duncan Brown wrote:

> On 11/07/2011 18:21, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> For all those who have been waiting for proper Python support, etc.
>>
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/451160/
>>

> I've just done a new install on Centos 6, and so far everything is
> running great. Moved from a Fedora 14 install after getting tired of the
> constant upgrading. Only reason I had to move to Fedora from Centos 5 a
> few year back was after a big hardware upgrade and the kernel just being
> too old to support it. It's nice to be back.
>
> Only thing to be aware of is the kernel has no rc drivers included (and
> the plus kernel is the same). You'll have to get driver modules for your
> receiver of choice elsewhere.

See my comment re: them tracking 6.1 bits for security updates.

> I'm using the v4l media_build script as I
> need it for the pcTV nanostick anyway. I think both atrpms and elrepo do
> a v4l kmod/kmdl.

Those will probably do as well, and at least the v4l/dvb media_build
is going to be slightly newer code than even the 6.1 kernel bits, and
you can also use it to build the lirc_foo device drivers.

> Also if you are installing from atrpms, be aware you will need to
> install the various qt47 rpms from atrpms-testing too

qt47 should be unnecessary now, there's now a stock-qt-4.6-compatible
qtwebkit package or similar in the epel repo that satisfies mythtv's
build/run-time dependencies. That's what I'm using for my own systems
right now, anyway (RHEL6.1 + private repo of mostly rpm fusion-based
packages).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com