[mythtv-users] how to set xmltvid to unknown and keep it there?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Jul 7 18:00:43 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> source 5 has only clear QAM channels.  Sources 4 and 6 have all
>> channels enabled in schedules direct, but differ as channels usually
>> blocked by 5C encryption marked with visible = 0 in source 4.
>
> (ideally those channels not used in Firewire would be removed from the
> Firewire Video source--which is possible with the below configuration)

Ideally, upon attempting to tune a firewire channel and receiving no signal,
mythTV would dynamically fail over to another tuner in real time.

> OK, based on your description--the fact that you're sharing one
> Schedules Direct lineup with mutliple MythTV Video Sources--you need to
> keep the channels in the lineup, so the best solution is to run
> mythfilldatabase with the --remove-new-channels argument.

We discussed this on this list some months back.  This approach has the
significant down side that it means that new channels won't be added without
manual intervention.  I don't really like that.

> Yeah, there are actually 3 different matching criteria that could be
> used, all related to channel numbers.  Besides "Live TV" channel number
> configured in MythTV, if the channel is on the same frequency Schedules
> Direct says it's on, and the ATSC minor channel number is the same as
> Schedules Direct says, mythfilldatabase will assume it's the same
> channel.

I didn't know that.  So, are you saying that this is a Schedules
Direct problem?  They're saying History/HI is on freqid 127/128, but
it's not, and that's the ultimate source of the problem?

I have an HDHR Prime on pre-order.  I'm hoping that after it arrives,
I can script something that can get a proper channel map for all of
the tuners and make everything "just work" despite frequent changes by
the provider.

Eric