[mythtv-users] FW: Kworld DVB-T PC160-2T Broken by Upgrade to 0.24

Anthony Rooney rooneyo at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 6 14:47:10 UTC 2011

I had a MythTv installation 0.23 running fine with the Kworld PC 160 dual
tuner using the AF9015 BDA driver however I accidentally upgraded to MythTv
0.24  thinking I was installing additional components to 0.23.

Since the upgrade to 0.24 I have not been able to watch Live TV or record
any programs because I cannot lock a channel 90% of the time.  Sometimes it
would work but mostly I would get the error "should have received a lock by
now.."  The unusual thing was that I was getting the normal 79% to 84%
signal strength so nothing had changed with the antenna setup.

I tried various things to resolve including additional updates, completely
removing the DVB cards and re-adding them, rerunning TV channel scans,
recopying the driver files, moving the computer to another known good signal
antenna source to the point that I was convinced that the tuner card had a
hardware failure.  This was because when I shut down the computer hosting
the MythTV installation (no point in having it running when it could not
record anything), I was able to lock channels on restarting again however
the problem quickly returned on further testing making me think the tuner
card had failed perhaps showing symptoms when it heated up.

In the end I swapped out my Kworld PCI device for an old Fusion DVB tuner
and reconfigured it to use the Zarlink MT352 DVB-T so I was back up and
running again with a single tuner.  I put the Kworld tuner card as a test
into a Win7 PC to test and found it worked perfectly with perfect reception
on all channels.  So I now know that the tuner card is not faulty but MythTV
version 0.24 does not support it in the way that .023 did.

Has anyone else come across this problem as you would not expect an upgrade
to break a stable and working system so completely.

Is there drivers for the AF9015 built into v0.24 that over wrote the drivers
I had working so well with 0.23?

Regards

TonyR