[mythtv-users] livetv/recording display glitches

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Wed Jul 6 04:31:39 UTC 2011

i've been having this issue for a while (although i dont think forever!)
where top 1/5th of the picture will appear to be a few frames out of sync.

for example: the top 2" of the screen is 6 frames out, the next 2" is 3
frames out, and the rest of the screen is perfect. almost like the picture
is tearing.

i've noticed this only seems to occur when playing after ffwd, or pausing
the playback. pausing and immediately playing again resolves the glitch.
video feed seems to be on a number of channels; both SD and HD quality
feeds.

im unsure whats triggered it (i've updated mythtv a few times since i
started to notice it). it seems to of appeared over the last 3 weeks (i
rebuilt my mythtv box around 4weeks ago however)

hardware:
Nvidia 210, using VDPAU Normal (i've also tried VDPAU Slim but no change at
all)
nvidia propretry drivers that were included in mythbuntu 10.10
mythtv 0.24.1 as of late-last week.

any sugestions on what the problem could be?

If I recall correctly when I had this problem it was related to the the composite
option in xorg.conf. Check your xorg.conf fire for the following section:
Section "Extensions"
         Option      "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
I use Fedora so it may look a little different if you use another Linux flavor.
Make sure that the Composite option is disabled because if it is not you will
often have tearing of the video.  Mine was always on the top portion of the
screen.