[mythtv-users] Using devinput but devinput lircd.conf file does not contain all my remote buttons on Harmony One

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jul 6 00:55:26 UTC 2011

On Jun 29, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> You don't need the debug part anymore. Add a shell script at
>> /etc/sysconfig/modules/ir.modules where the contents are simply:
>> ----8<----
>> #!/bin/sh
>> /sbin/modprobe ir-kbd-i2c
>> ----8<----
>> That'll make sure ir-kbd-i2c gets auto-loaded early on in boot.
> Done.  Should I remove /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules, as it is
> now obsolete and just contains this:
> #!/bin/bash
> /sbin/modprobe lirc_i2c

Yep, that can go.

>>> I then need to load the keymap by doing this (I created a new keymap
>>> file called haupp2 so I could mess around with the non-original file):
>>> ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/haupp2
>> Edit /etc/rc_maps.cfg, and add a line like so:
>> ir-kbd-i2c rc-rc5-tv haupp2
>> There's actually half-decent documentation in the config file. At least,
>> there is in the one in the git tree right now... Basically, you can
>> where driver is the kernel driver (ir-kbd-i2c in this case), default
>> keytable name is the driver's, well, default keytable name (as shown
>> in ir-keytable output, before any other keytable has been pushed in),
>> and file is the name of the keymap in /etc/rc_keymaps/ that you want
>> to be loaded into the kernel for your driver/keytable name pair. You
>> can also have wildcards for either of those, so actually, this would
>> probably work too:
>> * * haup2
>> I'm not actually sure what order directives in there are parsed, but
>> I don't see one for ir-kbd-i2c or that keymap, so yeah, should work...
> I did it without the wildcards using the syntax you first gave
> (ir-kbd-i2c rc-rc5-tv haupp2).  That and the shell script from above
> autoloads the module and keymap on reboot, so everything is working as
> expected now.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

Cool, good to hear. I swear it'll be less painful in the future... ;)

>>> At any event, it works well now and I am able to live with manually
>>> automatically start.
>>> Also, do I need to edit my lirc.conf file in modprobe.conf.d to remove
>>> i2c stuff?  This is currently in there:
>>> #lirc_module_configuration
>>> alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
>> That hasn't done anything at all for you since Fedora 10 or earlier, if
>> I'm thinking clearly. The lirc patches in Fedora have been using miscdev
>> rather than a hard-coded char major of 61 for a few years now. Its 2x as
>> useless now that you're using ir-kbd-i2c though. ;)
> Can I safely delete the lirc.conf file then?

I read that as lircd.conf at first, and was going to cry a bit, but you're
talking about the file in /etc/modprobe.d/. Yes, that can go away. :)

> Again, thanks for your help and patience on this.  I never would have
> figured out any of this without the assistance!

Thanks for bearing with me. Quite a bit of change has been happening, and
(almost?) all for the good, but getting from where we were to where we're
going has been an adventure...

Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com