[mythtv-users] Upgrade Suggestions - currently on myth 0.21 with PVR150, 250, 350

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jul 4 13:32:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 11:15 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> If you're currently using analog cable, don't expect to be able to
> continue using that in the long term.  Cable providers are all switching
> over to digital to free up bandwidth for additional channels and
> internet.  Start planning an upgrade for your frontends to support HD.

The first part of your statement is true, but that doesn't necessitate
a transition to HD.  Cable providers are still providing SD versions
of nearly all cable channels after the switch to digital.

Since Time Warner locks down most of their cable channels and doesn't
make them available over firewire or the new cable card tuners, the
simplest way to go digital would be to keep all of your PVR x50 cards
and just get digital tuning adapters and run the composite out from
the DTA into the composite in on the PVR x50.  If you're happy with
SD, that's definitely the way to go, but you don't need to worry about
it until they actually pull the plug on the analog channels.  But as
Raymond says, those days are numbered.  I'm surprised you still have
it.

Eric