[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 1950 and Ubuntu 10.04- Not creating /dev/video0

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 31 16:46:07 UTC 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 11:37 AM, Mike Isely wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Nicholas Oleksinski wrote:
>
>   [...]
>
>> Hi Jared:
>> Well that got fixed in a hurry!   I moved on down to "mythtv frontend"
>> and now I get the following when I try to watch livetv (already changed
>> all widths in all profiles to 720):
>>
>> "Error:MythTV is using all inputs, but there are no active recordings?"
>>
>> Did you see this as well?
>>
>> As additional info I was able to bring up the video and audio on vlc tho
>> I don't know how to control channels through VLC.  I did: Open Capture
>> Device->Capture mode=PVR->video device=/dev/video0
>>

>> Tvtime crashes.
>
> See this:
>
> http://www.isely.net/pvrusb2/usage.html#tvtime

Oh, duh, right, its got a hardware encoder on the analogue side. Same
reason a PVR-x50 card (and misc others) doesn't work with tvtime.
Thank you for the reminder, Mike! :)

So the tvtime failure is expected, and VLC seems to be working fine, at
least with the analogue side of the hardware. I'm assuming the hardware
and driver are good to go at this point, and the only remaining issue is
configuring MythTV appropriately to use it.

So Nicholas, see here:

And take special note of the "if you have a dual digital/analog card"
part, which applies for the HVR-1950.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com