[mythtv-users] Failing hardware & FE/BE replacement feedback

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jan 31 16:01:56 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:12:53PM +0000, Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Anthony Giggins wrote:
>
> >On 22 January 2011 10:53, Anthony Giggins <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:
> >      I've been given initial management go ahead to look at a replacement Combinded FE/BE due to the current motherboard failing (it was secondhand when I
> >      got it) basically it just freezes during high network load (ie transfering video files via the onboard sky2 gigabit network card) initially the issue
> >      started with just the network failing (required ifdown eth0 followed by ifup eth0 to restore) but probably due to upgrading the network switch to
> >      gigabit its now escalating the issue to full system freezes.
> >
> >      When the issue occurs there is nothing in the logs which makes me think the motherboard is failing?
> >
> >      Anyway I have a Core 2 Duo CPU laying around unused would I be better off using this or go the whole hog and upgrade to i5 or i7 and possibly get
> >      more cores for transcoding & commflagging etc (will keep the nvidia GT240 for video decoding)
> >
> >      Also the LGA775 boards I've seen only have 4 or 5 Sata ports so having possibly more on the i5/i7 board is also a plus :) and any power savings are a
> >      bonus but not required.
> >
> >      Please if you have any recommendations let me know.
> >
> >No one has any suggestions or advice?

    If you are hung up on the number of SATA ports, why not just go for an
entirely new board. For a combo BE/FE, I would be inclined to go with something
in terms of an X4 CPU and a board to match.

    I would go to a site like Newegg where you can search for items based on
attributes like the number of SATA ports and continue from there. Or find a
local retailer with a good selection of components and just physically see
what's available.

    The more you try to put into the box, the more difficult it will be to
cool it. So having 8 SATA ports in a combo box might not be the best thing
anyways. Although I suppose you could have a bunch of laptop drives.

    Perhaps there are chipsets or board makers that should be avoided. That
might be the best bit of advice to have right now.

    Ultimately, you just have to find something that looks like you want and
then research the board. I've had good luck with Gigabyte boards for AMD CPUs
myself. My last experience with a Core2 board kind of turned me off to Intel.

[deletia]