[mythtv-users] future of the appletv (1g) frontend

Tom Flair lists at graniteskies.net
Sun Jan 30 17:16:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:17 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a first-gen appletv frontend (0.23, Mythbuntu 10.04) that I
> have been quite happy with.  I can watch SD and HD content recorded
> from the HDHR smoothly using XvMC.  However, with XvMC disappearing
> from 0.24-fixes, I am wondering what the future of this FE is as I
> would like to upgrade my backend and other FE's to 0.24.  There is the
> option of installing a Crystal HD card, but I haven't been able to
> find any reports of success using that hardware with mythtv (e.g.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Broadcom_Crystal_HD).
>
> Wondering what other appletv FE users are doing?

I have a BCM70015 running in a mini-itx build without too many issues.
Skipping around successively occasionally causes issues with (I assume)
buffering, and I only have to do this when it looks like commercial skipping
has skipped too far.   Otherwise, it's been working.

I'd imagine it should be the same if the card were installed in the AppleTV.