[mythtv-users] future of the appletv (1g) frontend

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sun Jan 30 13:26:03 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
> * On Sat Jan 29, 2011 at 09:17:46PM -0800, scram69 wrote:
>> I have a first-gen appletv frontend (0.23, Mythbuntu 10.04) that I
>> have been quite happy with.  I can watch SD and HD content recorded
>> from the HDHR smoothly using XvMC.  However, with XvMC disappearing
>> from 0.24-fixes, I am wondering what the future of this FE is as I
>
> XvMC is not gone from 0.24-fixes.  It is gone from git master (aka, what
> will become 0.25 at some point in the future).
>
> XvMC support was dropped from master back on December 5th.
>
> https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/commit/252f8018ecc4067b61ac93ce512eee02a4b74f28

He may have been referring to the 0.24-fixes that are available in the
Mythbuntu PPA, where it was discovered that having XvMC enabled in a
playback profile was causing X in Ubuntu 10.10 to crash, taking people
back to their login prompt.  The solution that was settled upon was
not enable compile-time support for XvMC, which was done right before
the the great migration to git, in revision
1:0.24.0+fixes27305-0ubuntu1

I don't know if JYA's repo has it enabled at compile time or not, but
with it dropped from 0.25, the writing is on the wall. Until then,
users could compile their own, using the developer's cheatsheet guide:

http://mythbuntu.org/wiki/developer-cheatsheet#Building

To keep up-to-date with stuff being added to 0.24-fixes regularly,
there are the following options:

1) Users can manually run the git build script every so often to spit out debs
2) or cron just that build script
3) or cron a modified autobuilds that only builds for their specific
distro version and only the fixes checkout.  Something approximating
the following should modify autobuilds to spit out debs rather than
source files, which should be a fairly minor change... something
approximating:
> #sed s/build-dsc.sh/build-debs.sh/ <http://build-dsc.sh/build-debs.sh/>
> build-mythtv.sh -i

Any changes the a user makes to bzr packaging or git source locally
should automatically rebase when the script is called, and should work
without any problems on a chroot.

   Marc