[mythtv-users] Samba share of mythfs.py filesystem not working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 30 05:01:13 UTC 2011

  On 01/29/2011 07:51 PM, E. Westbrook wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:46, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> When run using MythTV System Events or User Jobs, it's very likely that
>> multiple mythlink.pl processes will be running concurrently, since many
>> recordings start or end at the same time.
> Indeed, and why anything run as such a process must only do the minimum
> necessary and get out of the way fast.  Under this plan, even in total, that
> should still cost much less than a full run (due to the specificity), and
> even more so over time since no unnecessary full runs at all need occur.
>> Besides, we have a working solution.  IMHO, we should concentrate efforts on
>> all the things that don't work or don't have solutions.
> No intention to distract anyone!  As for myself, though, I don't really have
> anything else "pressing" on my plate right now, and like I said, it's been
> rolling around in the back of my head for a while now.  So maybe I'll play
> with it locally and report back if anything comes of it.

If you'd like to work on it, feel free to do so.

But please make it so that it does /not/ run the cleanup in the "create
this one link and exit" mode that --filename or --chanid/--starttime enters.

Users wanting to run mythlink.pl --cleanup every time a new recording
starts can do so by having their MythTV System Event script execute:

mythlink.pl --link /mnt/pretty --chanid %CHANID% --starttime %STARTTIME%
--format '%T/%T%-%S'
mythlink.pl --dest /mnt/pretty --cleanup

Or people could set up a job to run on delete events to just do the
cleanup.  Or people could just do a daily cron job to do the cleanup.

Mike