[mythtv-users] ATI card ThemePainter to opengl not working

Achim Hofmann news at achim-hofmann.com
Fri Jan 28 23:46:26 UTC 2011

Sateesh Mandava <sateeshm at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I change the ThemePainter to opengl the following screens goes
> blank "for ever".
>
> 1. Any video out screens (livetv, recordings, mythvideo etc..)
> 2. mythtv settings screens.
> 3. every thing under mythtv-setup except the firstpage.

One week ago I upgraded my good old MythBox with a new graphics card, an
ATI Radeon HD 4650. I decided for this card because it's the only card
for AGP bus which supports hardware based video decoding. (UVD/XvBA in
this case) Unfortunately there're no AGP based and VDPAU capable nVidia
cards out there so this was the cheapest way to let my existing system
play HD video content.

Believe it or not, but I upgraded from a ATI Radeon 7000 which has been
the very first Radeon ever released. Now I'm using the latest ever
released for AGP bus.

I encountered the same problem you described with point three after
switching the theme painter to OpenGL. Based on a similar problem I had
with my old Radeon 7000 and MythTV 0.21, I reduced the resolution used
for the GUI display by 2 pixels for high and width. (In my case I
reduced from 1024x768 to 1022x766) Now the menu pages are displayed as
expected again.

Please try and let us know if this solves your problem, too.

Regards,

Achim Hofmann