[mythtv-users] Samba share of mythfs.py filesystem not working

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 12:36:45 UTC 2011

Mike Perkins wrote:

>>You still need a cron job.
>>
>>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl
>>http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythlink.pl#Using_with_MythTV_System_Events
>>
>I'm sorry, I don't quite follow. Surely using mythlink.pl either
>triggered by a system event or even as a user job does exactly what
>he wants. Why do you still need a cron job?

Because when called as a user job/event trigger it will add links to
the new file being created - but it doesn't remove old ones. You need
to periodically run the script as a "full run" so it can clear out
all the links and start again - thus removing stale links.

I doubt if you would want to run the full job run each time a
recording starts as that would means you'd have a small window each
time where links are missing, and I imagine it would create a spike
in server load just as you start a recording (which also creates a
small spike in activity).

--
Simon Hobson