[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV on a system with a pre-existing MySQL database

mythtv at daniflexer.com mythtv at daniflexer.com
Fri Jan 28 01:31:42 UTC 2011

[I am a MythTV newbie so apologies if I am missing anything obvious.
Ilooked through the archives but could not find an answer to this
query.]

I am installing MythTV on a system (Ubuntu 10.10) that is already
hosting a Bitnami Mediawiki stack which includes an instance of MySQL,
currently only used for the Mediawiki.

I am considering whether to run an instance of MySQL dedicated to
MythTV in addition to the one used for Mediawiki or to use the same
MySQL for both the Mediawiki stack and MythTV.

Questions:

1. What would be considered the best-practice?
2. Other than adding a mythtv user to the existing MySQL database and
running mysql -u root < /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql, is there
anything else I need to add to the existing MySQL to prepare it for
MythTV?

Thanks!
Dani