[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Rob Smith kormoc at mythtv.org
Thu Jan 27 23:55:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Mark D. Montgomery II
<techiem2 at techiem2.net> wrote:
> As a little update/FYI for others:
> I just moved the base OS over to an SSD disk today so the big disk could
> actually go into standby.
> Now the box idles at 118-120W with MythWeather running.
> Again, not a huge difference (5-7W), but every little bit helps...
>
> Mark II

Let's calculate the ROI on this.

Assumptions:
Price per KWH. Average US rate is $0.12
Savings, 7 watts for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

This gives us a savings of:
$0.000840 per hour
$0.020      per day
$0.14        per week
$0.56        per month
$7.34        per year

So if you spent $45 on a SSD (The cheapest I could find on newegg,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139427 ) it
will take you 6 years and one and a half months to break even.

 That doesn't include the increase in power usage when the old drive
is spun up and the SSD is pulling power which I would think reverses
the savings.

In short, I don't think this ended up saving you a penny.