[mythtv-users] theme problem--words get cut off; plus, a long and slightly OT PS

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Jan 27 21:49:45 UTC 2011

I've had a particular problem with myth themes for some time but am only
now getting around to posting about it. This is in reference, by the way,
to a mythbuntu 10.04.1 system that really only displays in SD owing to the
monitor in use--a 31" Gateway 2000 Destination that is only capable of
800x600 resolution (a resolution I'm fine with, by the way). The problem
is as follows.

I use the Mythcenter (non-widescreen) theme because that looks best on
this monitor. While it's generally serviceable, there are some instances
in which it presents a serious problem--namely, when editing an intended
recording's options ("record only this showing" etc). The problem is that
some of the longer phrases get cut off: "record one showing of this title
every week" gets truncated, for example, to "record one showing of this
titl..." Thus, there are two options that look exactly the same if you
cannot see the final words ("every week" or "every day").

I have not yet found a way to display all the text in the field in
question though it seems I should be able to do so. Perhaps the problem is
that I'm interacting with my mythbox via a keyboard rather than via
remote? I'm using a keyboard, by the way, because I don't want to take on
the additional headache of getting a remote to work with this system.

What I've been doing when I confront this problem is to temporarily switch
to one of the widescreen themes--all of which do not look good on this
monitor, and most of which manifest the same problem as Mythcenter
non-widescreen anyway--and to set the option there. Then I have to go back
and switch themes again to a more sane-looking one. This, as should be
evident, is not a very desirable workaround.

So, does anyone have an suggestion for fixing this problem, i.e., making
the Mythcenter theme display all the text in the option box rather than
truncating it with ellipsis in instances where the text occupies more
horizontal space than the box allows? I've tried fiddling with font size
but that seems not to have given the desired effect. Is there, perhaps,
some other non-widescreen theme I might use that could address this?

Thanks,
James

PS On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 Nick Rout wrote:

(in the thread [mythtv-users] ongoing mythtv migration problems: how can I
view my recordings?)

> James, I don't know why this is happening, or if you are aware of it,
> but in gmail, everytime you post to the list (ie when replying to
> another message) it starts a new thread (or conversation in
> gmail-speak), although it doesn't seem to in the gossamer archives.
>
> I don't know if there is anything you could or should change in your
> email client, but if there is, it would be nice for us gmail users.

One likely reason for this is that I don't actually get any e-mails from
the list and so, when I am writing a response, I simply copy and paste
text and subject into my client (Alpine) and sort of disguise it as a
reply that way. I'm not sure if that problem would obtain or not if I were
actually replying from within my mail client, i.e., whether, as Nick
Morrott has suggested, the client would provide the "In Reply To" and
"References" headers gmail's threading function expects. Anyone else know?

In any case, I'm not sure that would prove the best resolution to the
issue. You see, the reason I do not receive e-mails from the list is
because a) this list generates way too much traffic for me; and b) I only
post to, and thus need to consult replies from, this list every once in a
while. Most of the time receiving messages from the list--even in digest
form--simply represents an inconvenience.

I'm aware that I could turn e-mail delivery on and off and address the
e-mail volume issue to some extent that way. But that likewise presents an
inconvenience.

Anyway, I don't want to be unreasonable about this and do nothing--in fact
I've already looked into ways I might supply the needed headers in
to do that). If the lack of threading presents a major issue to many
subscribers, I'm willing to investigate further the option of turning off
and on getting messages from the list. But again, I'm not even sure this
would resolve the issue since it may be related to the fact that my client
does not and will not supply the needed headers.

I'm open to alternate suggestions on this matter--probably best sent to me
privately off-list. Anyone who may have such a suggestion is welcome to
contact me and provide it. Also, if others besides Nick Rout have been
bothered by the lack of threading my messages provide is welcome to
contact me privately and to say so. For now I'm still searching for a
solution.