[mythtv-users] VDPAU Issues?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 14:49:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:38 PM, robert Larson <dewmanstl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
> Last night the wife and I were watching a show that was being recorded
> (even though I know that this isn't the design of myth) however, when
> watching the show the sytem would stutter at times. So checking the
> log file I came across some items I am not to sure about and thought
> that maybe there might be an issue with VDPAU.
>

> Here is some snippets:
>
> First the version:
>
>  mythbackend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : v0.24-116-g61c78f5
> MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
> Network Protocol : 63
> Library API      : 0.24.20101129-1
> QT Version       : 4.6.2
> Options compiled in:
>  linux debug using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse
> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
> using_bindings_python using_directfb using_dvb using_firewire
> using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
> using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
> using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
> using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
> using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
> using_live using_mheg

deletia...

2011-01-25 20:13:20.619 Player(0): Video sync method can't support
> double framerate (refresh rate too low for 2x deint)

It looks like your machine can't handle the 2x deinterlacer.  Have you tried
stepping down to a lower deinterlacer?  Maybe 1x?

> 2011-01-25 20:13:20.621 Player(0): Video timing method: USleep with busy
> wait
> 2011-01-25 20:13:20.623 TV: Changing from None to WatchingRecording
> 2011-01-25 20:13:20.652 VDPAU: Added 2 output surfaces (total 4, max 4)
>
> Then about 2 seconds later there is roughly 30 lines of this
> Player(0): Waited 100ms for video buffers AAAAAAAAAAAAAaALL

I'm not sure about the backend log.

> Here is a a backend section:

deletia...

There is an interesting warning in your Xorg.log

> And last a snip of Xorg.log
>
> (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0421:1682:230a nVidia Corporation G86
> [GeForce 8500 GT] rev 161, Mem @ 0xde000000/16777216,
>
> (WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "UseDisp;ayDevice" is not used
> (==) RandR enabled

It appears there's a typo in your xorg.conf "UseDisp;ayDevice".  I'm not
sure if that is related or not.  But the 2x deinterlacer messages above
suggests that your GeForce8500GT is not capable of 2x deinterlacing.  I'd
knock it down to Temporal 1x and try again.  I hope this helps.  I'm not
usually the one assisting in troubleshooting(as anyone who looks at my
emails on this list can see).

Jim