[mythtv-users] Channel lineup change not as easy as hoped

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:39:23 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

Comcast recently drastically changed my HD channel lineup, and it seems
like I had to go through a bit too many steps to get MythTV in sync.  A
number of the HD channels have moved to higher channel numbers.

First was to refresh the schedulesdirect listings.  This wasn't too bad.
 I de-selected the old HD channels and selected their new homes in the
higher channel numbers.

- I ran mythfilldatabase, but the listings (in mythweb) still showed the
old HD channels and none of the new ones.

- I noticed: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Updating_Channel_Lineup so I
added the --do-channel-updates flag.  Still no new channels.

- I re-ran mythtv-setup and downloaded the channel lineup again, which
subsequently ran mythfilldatabase.   Some new channels were in the
listings, as were the old channels that Comcast has made defunct.

- I ran mythfilldatabase again with --do-channel-updates and
--remove-new-channels.   The latter option seems a bit oddly-named to
me.   but this did remove the old channels that don't exist anymore in
my schedulesdirect lineup.  But there were still some new channels missing.

- I went into the channel lineup part of mythweb and I noticed some of
the new channels had the "visible" property un-checked.   I checked these.

The result of the above steps is that the defunct channels are now gone
and the new channels are there.  I realize that I probably have some
redundant or unnecessary steps in there, but it seems a bit ridiculous
to me.   Any thoughts on why it was such a hassle?

Thanks!
-WD