[mythtv-users] 5.1 wrong speaker problem

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 17:50:09 UTC 2011

Hi

On 26 January 2011 18:25, Ken Bass <kbass at kenbass.com> wrote:
> As I already said, if I add the the lines to asound.conf and reboot. That
> causes the pulseaudio error message in the syslog. When that happens,
> speaker test still works fine, but the logs show
>
> 'ALSA, Error: snd_pcm_open("hdmi:CARD=NVidia"): Invalid argument'
>
> Hitting the scan audio button display 'ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia" is invalid or
> not useable

I would have thought the error message be rather self-explanatory.

Do not use this device, but one of the other one showing up in the
list after you scanned for audio devices

> So I would not agree that problems with pulseaudio are irrelevant. The
> addition to asound.conf the channel mapping/order under the speaker-test
> utility, but breaks sound under mythtv.

no it doesn't.
It cause the hdmi alsa device to not exists anymore ; so you need to
configure another one, which would happen to be the one you've defined
in the .asoundrc

You configured myth to use a specific alsa device. You then modified
the alsa configuration causing that device to either not exist anymore
or not be usable.

You now need to edit the audio properties again, scan for the audio
devices and select a different one. The error you are seeing only
tells you that your old config isn't usable

> I'm running stock Fedora 14 using Zotac ION FE for Mythtv. I thought surely
> more people have experience with these upgrade bumps here than elsewhere.
> Maybe someone else running this configuration will have some helpful advice.

I've already given you a simple way to fix you problem by selecting
StereoPCM and not having to mess up with the alsa configuration.

Why can't you just use that and forget about your problems ? what's
the point in wasting time like this?