[mythtv-users] report QAM changes? (Comcast Digital Switchover)

David Linville dlinvill at networksdown.com
Tue Jan 25 21:26:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Nelson Tang <nelson at tangspace.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca
> >
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> I have suggested previously to Schedules Direct that in addition to
> >> their analog and digital (set top box tuning) guides that they carry a
> >> [clear]qam tuning guide also that in the worst case (where no other
> >> information source is available) is community supported and maintained.
> >> Seems there is no activity there yet though, that I know of.
> >
> > Would something which periodically checks the channel lineup page on
> Silicon
> > Dust's website for changes be useful?  They seem to get the station
> > identifiers right.
>
> Not really.  I've never found that their lineup exactly matched mine
> when I put in my zip code.
>
> Eric

If you are seeing another cable companies lineup from your same zip code you
can email and they will split the listings and create a new lineup for you
zip code.  You can then fix up your listings using the GUI tool and it will
update the right listing on the servers.

If the problem is just out of date QAM mappings you need to check the box in
the setup tool that allows it to send updates to Silicondust.  I think the
HDHomrun does it automatically even if the tools aren't running because I'm
pretty sure I'm the only user in my zip code/cable company combo and the
screenshots are from times I was not running the tool.

To answer the more general question I remember listening to an interview
with Ceton and they said there was a web page that would always have a
listing of the current QAM mapping from the cable card.  I hope silicondust
does the same with the Prime and I can use a single cable card to feed
channel maps back to my older HDhomerun getting clear QAM.

Currently I just run a cron script that dumps the hdhomerun cli scan to a
file and diffs it against yesterday.  Cron emails me if anything pops up
different and I know I need to address it manually.  I have Suddenlink cable
and so far they have been pretty straightforward after the digital switch
and are acting like the unencrypted channels 1-77 are not going to move
since they advertised it working on QAM tvs.

David