[mythtv-users] OT: monitors, room set up, sound blocking and distance-to-screen

Bearcat M. Sandor hometheater at feline-soul.com
Tue Jan 25 21:01:45 UTC 2011

Folks,

I feel like this is a dumb question but here goes anyway. I'm hoping
someone will think of something i haven't.

I have an htpc set up in my office. In fact, the way my living space is
set up, the only room i can comfortably have my stereo in is my office.

So that i can listen to music while i work, i sit at my desk with my
monitor in front of me. My floor-standing speakers are about 7' away and
pointed at me in the classic 30 degree stereo angle.  To put it another
way, my listening spot is my desk. There is a monitor on this desk. A
23" wide screen.

When i want to listen critically i take the monitor off the desk. The
sound stage improves  etc, because the monitor is not blocking some of
the sound from my ears.  Well, i'd like to have that all the time.

Obviously a solution would be to get a huge screen, put it on the wall
behind the speakers and just do my computing on that. I don't have that
kind of money for that (Probably $10K at least), and not sure i could
install such a thing anyhow as i'm renting this home.

I've looked into getting a small amount of acoustically transparent
movie screen and a mini-projector to duplicate a 23" screen which i
could put on my desk, but the mini projectors are still not up to
performance levels.

Any ideas i might not have thought of?

Also, is there a formula to figure out how big a screen at a given
resolution, at a given font size one needs at a given distance for
comfortable viewing assuming 20/20 vision? For instance, if your working
at 1920x1080 at a nominal font size of 10 how big does a display need to
be?  All i've found is simple calculators for HDTV viewing.

Thanks,

Bearcat M. Sandor