[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital Switchover Configuring - Recommendations?
Alan Anderson
andersonas at comcast.net
Tue Jan 25 19:46:25 UTC 2011
On Monday, January 24, 2011 05:22:45 pm Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:
> So Wednesday Comcast finally pulled the plug on analog here, so I'm
> wondering what the standard procedure is for reconfiguring the tuners
> on Mythtv, and whether I should grab an antenna (would be inside, but
> right by an outside wall) to hook up to one of my hdhomerun inputs.
>
> I currently have both my hdhomerun inputs plugged into the cable, as
> well as the WinTV PVR-500 card.
> At a quick glance the PVR still seems to be pulling in the local
> stations and some others (maybe comcast hasn't fulling pulled the plug
> on all the analog yet...like FSN is still coming in over analog).
> Some channels are fine and others are showing the Comcast "You need a
> digital adapter" message.
>
Comcast switched to digital on us about 8 months ago. I already had an
antenna in the attic with a HDhomerun and one TV for OTA HD. I had three
PVR-150's in mythtv for analog cable.
So after the switch I used a IR blaster to control one of the comcast cable
boxes for one pvr-150. But the HDhomerun was already recording most of what I
watch OTA and I would record a few channels from comcast. HDHomerun on the
cable only gets clear stations, and Comcast keeps moving those around and you
have to keep hunting them down and editing the channels in mythtv Its a major
pain.
I didnt see the cost effectiveness of +$80.00 a month for comcast cable for
less the 2-3 channels that I actually used, that wasnt OTA. So I cut the
cord, and told comcast I want internet only. Ran the antennea to the Drop
amp and sent OTA throughout the house instead of cable. I already had
netfix/roku so I joined Hulu Plus and added a playontv server to get the other
stations not OTA on the roku.
So currently with myth I have two HDHomeruns for OTA most of this is HD
recordings. The basic digital cable box comcast provides is standared
definition only. So see what all OTA stations are in your area. Compare
that with what is cable only.
The hdhomerun_gui is usefull for aiming your antenna. Tune in a weakest
signal in your area and adjust the antenna until the GUI shows the strongest
signal. The web site antennaweb.org will get you pointed in the general
direction. In my case all the broadcast antennas are on Cheyanne mountain
south west of town. So if yours are all over the compass it could be difficult
Alan Anderson
More information about the mythtv-users
mailing list