[mythtv-users] Comcast Digital Switchover Configuring - Recommendations?

Ben Eisemann ben at locojeeper.com
Tue Jan 25 12:22:39 UTC 2011

I am using the IquanaIR USB transceiver.  It works quite well... now
that it is configured.  They have pretty detailed instructions on
their website and if followed to the tee (with one exception, i'll
mention in a moment) it should work for you as well.

The only problem I had (which took me months of off and on
troubleshooting) was getting the two blasters to work at the same time
controlling different DTA's.  I ending up building a home made,
macgyver'd "opto-isolator".  Basically, I took a piece of electrical
conduit, and taped the blaster from the IquanaIR in one end and the IR
relocator cable that's included with the DTA taped on the other end.
This isolated the IR signals and kept it from reflecting off
(apparently) a nearby object and creating all sorts of havoc.

If budget were no limit, I would have gotten the set top boxes from
comcast and hooked into the serial port (or cross my fingers for a
firewire unit) to change channels.  But given that all the sets in my
house are SD tv's, there really wasn't any motivation to get anything
other then the DTA's.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,

Ben T. Eisemann
beisemann at gmail.com

Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today
of its strength.—Charles Spurgeon