[mythtv-users] mythfrontend .24 segmentation fault

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 02:29:25 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > All,
>> > I just setup a new frontend.  I'm running on ubuntu 10.10, using the
>> > mythbunttu 10.10 weekly build repo (I had to do it this way to get the
>> > install to complete; I had to use the alternate install disc, and I
>> > could
>> > only find a standard image vs a mythbuntu image).
>> > I installed ubuntu 10.10 forom the alternate install image, then I had
>> > enable the nvidia drivers before x would load.  Next I did an update to
>> > make
>> > everything current. Next I installed mythbuntu control centre, used that
>> > configure the myth (desktop frontend, lirc, mythvideo, etc) and then
>> > tried
>> > to run it.  Oops, I forgot that I had to enable the .24 repos, so I got
>> > the
>> > .deb installer from the mythbuntu site, installed it, and then did an
>> > update, which had a mix of .23 and .24 components.  So then I did a
>> > "completely remove" on every installed package with "myth" in the name,
>> > and
>> > reinstalled.  For some reason, at this point, it wanted to do a partial
>> > upgrade, so I let it (the partial upgrade included some myth
>> > components).
>> >  try to run myth, and I get I a segmentation fault.  There seems to be
>> > something regarding a windows sound option in the list when I run
>> > mythfrontend from the commandline.  I'm not sure how this would come
>> > into
>> > play, but this machine is dual booted with windows 7, and I did have
>> > mythfrontend running on that, but it lacked the video features, so I
>> > decided
>> > to dual boot it and here I am.
>>
>> strace mythfrontend   ?
>

> That produces a LOT of output.  How shall I display it?  I can't get it all
> to fit in one screen where I can copy/paste it, and 'strace > output.txt
> mythfrontend' yields less information than I've posted above.

man strace, the first line says:

" In  the simplest case strace runs the specified command until it
exits.  It intercepts and records the system calls which are called by
a process and the signals which are received by a process. The name of
each system call, its arguments and its return value are printed on
standard error or to the file specified with the -o option."