[mythtv-users] hdhomerun vs. capture cards: is it even a contest?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Mon Jan 24 22:48:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at Ken wrote:

> I use my HDHR connected to an antenna (on my roof) to capture OTA
> broadcasts (which accounts for 85% of my recordings during "the season"
> and about 50% during the summer).  Support for this device within MythTV
> is great making it one of the easiest "cards" to setup.  But if you
> connect it to your cable company's input, you may be disappointed if
> many of the stations are encrypted.  You should be able to test by using
> your TV if it has a QAM tuner (and no cable card).  If your TV can
> receive it, the HDHR will also.
> I consider it a great investment. For content delivered to me via my
> cable company encrypted, I use the HDPVR and my cable company's STB.  My
> cable company only delivers HD content encrypted (except for local
> stations). The HDHR and HDPVR handle 99% of my recording needs.  That
> being said, you also mention schedule data.  If you are in the states,
> you will not want to rely on EIT data for scheduling. Schedules Direct
> will be your friend and well worth the $20/year.

Interesting remarks so far. Yes, I am in the U.S.--I thought you'd be able
to tell from my accent! As for aerials, I stopped using those back in the
20th century :)

I don't pay for any broadcast content, so I'm only after what's free
(technically the cable connection I use mostly is a paid service, but it
comes with the apt. I have and there is no way to opt out). By definition,
then, nothing encrypted applies for me. And I do subscribe to Schedules
Direct.

But on the subject of scheduling, let me just see whether I understand how
the HDHR interfaces with mythtv. If there's some program I want to record
from a channel the HDHR brings in--let's say it's an OTA channel, since
currently my "free" cable comes through a PVR-150 capture card--I tell
myth to record in that time-slot on that day and it "knows" the content
comes through the HDHR and can communicate with the device, getting it to
switch stations to the desired program when needed?

Thanks,
James