[mythtv-users] Another BBC HD Audio variance.......

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jan 24 22:02:16 UTC 2011

On 24 Jan 2011, at 21:35, David Knight wrote:

>> Apart from the occasional glitch I have to say I think the Beeb have
>> done a pretty good job, it'll be even better when C4 are on FreeSat
>> and Film4 is transmitted in HD.
>>
>> It'll be interesting to see what happens once DSO is finished.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> C4 HD is on FreeSat from Sky.... ahem... ;)

And looks great, I don't think it would be much good if it was sharing a narrow DVBS transponder with BBC HD & One HD!

> and Five HD is OK.

Only has the odd HD programme but still manages to look ok.

In case anyone wants a dig at me, I have a Sky HD box and a HD subscription!

BBC One HD manages to look better than I expected on upscaled stuff, I was expecting a gibbering mess extrapolating from what BBC HD looks like with poor source material.

> I still have a recording from the early days of BBC HD (Top Gear Arctic
> Special) which still looks impressive.

I found an old Coast recording today, wow looks great, I think I still have that Arctic Special and I don't even like Top Gear :-P

Plenty of other things weren't so great though, Chinese Olympics were pretty dire with only the odd exception. The new encoders are far far better for interlaced content, especially if it's noise free, the old encoders were much better at grainy film transfers.

> I really wish Andy Quested and that woman on the BBC Blog had listened to
> the complaints instead of just looking for ways to wriggle out of it when
> people complained of a drop in quality with the new encoders.

they would have a lot more respect (from me at least) if they had admitted that they were making the best of what they were required to use. Judging by the rates and coding scheme used now they were originally using freesat to experiment with coding setups for Freeview, now things have settled down they are using much higher rates than Freeview is likely to permit.

Sadly we now seem to have lost a valuable communication route.

I notice that the recent memory leaks in myth while decoding BBC*HD problem seems much less now, perhaps they are tweaking again, I certainly haven't done anything!

Andre