[mythtv-users] backend starting before one of two capture cards is initiated?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Mon Jan 24 21:35:40 UTC 2011

I'm migrating my mythtv (mythbuntu 10.04) to a new machine and have run
into a couple of problems. I'll discuss the lesser of those problems in
this thread and start a different thread for the other, more severe
problem.

The problem is that, once mythfrontend comes up, when I try to watch live
TV, one of the two capture cards in my system is missing. I noticed that
when I go into myth-setup, the card reappears (I initially thought it was
because I did some reconfiguration on that card while in myth-setup, but
I've just confirmed that it's more likely the killing and restarting of
the back-end, since, in a test I just now did, the card reappeared simply
by going into myth-setup without doing any reconfiguration, then quitting
it). So, it seems mythbackend is starting before the card gets
initialized.

So, what's the solution for this? Do I need to introduce a delay into the

Thanks,
James

PS The two capture cards are a PVR-150 (the one that's not appearing when
mythfrontend starts) and a BT878. I've made special udev rules for these,
by the way, so they don't get swapped when I reboot (the symlinks
/dev/PVR150 and /dev/BT878 point to the actual device files).