[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 21:34:50 UTC 2011

> I reluctantly bought two Hitachi Deskstar drives (2TB) for a quick and panicky backup, they seem OK for now though. > Then again, I bought them retail (not my usual method, I rushed into the nearest electronics store at the time). > Somebody should probably invest in the NewEgg OEM theory to see what's the deal.  I know one of my 10k RPM
> Raptors (first revision, not second) were DOA. I have to wonder if newegg's shipping process and plastic and styrofoam
> molds are somehow faulty.

Hmm. The last 3 drives I purchased (since last November) at newegg
were all packaged quite well.

Although I had an hitachi 2TB DOA from cdw at work in an order of 9
drives. I do not believe packaging was the problem. Each drive was
individually in its own interior box however the box that contained
the drives was slightly damaged.

John M. Drescher