[mythtv-users] 1 FE and 2 separate BE-FE

rawgarlic at gmail.com rawgarlic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:55:31 UTC 2011

Can a single Myth frontend be setup as:
A frontend to a Myth backend-frontend system X
AND
A frontend to a Myth backend-frontend system Y

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 03:20:04PM +0000, Andre wrote:

It might also help to tell us what you are trying to acheive with this
sort of setup. It's pretty common for myth setups to have multiple backends
feeding into a single master backed and a single database. My own setup has
2 slave backends for satellite tuners and another box that isn't really a myth
box but contains a lot of storage used by all of the machines on the network.

Thanks to all who responded.

I am trying to help these 3 characters so here are some more details.
(The names have been changed to protect the guilty.)

* The BE-FE system X was setup for Larry, for mostly viewing HD channels
  (95% viewing) and infrequent recording (less than 5% of the time).
* The BE-FE system Y was setup for Curly, for mostly viewing SD channels.
  It is hardly ever used for recording.
* They are happy with the status quo. They would prefer that I don't
  change anything.
* Then Moe came along. He could watch HD or SD. But he wants his own
  system.
* Moe does not care for recordings either.
* Larry and Curly don't mind sharing their respective tuners.
* X has 2 tuners and Y has 2 tuners. So there are enough tuners
  to go around.
* Moe does not have any tuners of his own.
* Larry and Curly have been up and running and now we are
  trying to figure out what to do with Moe.

That is why I was wondering if Moe's system could be a
FE to X
and
FE to Y
so that Moe could view HD or SD channels at any time.