[mythtv-users] 1 FE and 2 separate BE-FE

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 16:12:27 UTC 2011

It would be a very unusual use case for you to have two separate
databases/MBEs. I agree with the other posters. One Master-Backend (a
backend with a database), as many Back-ends you require for your
storage and tuners, and as many front-ends as needed, backends and
frontends can be on the same pcs or different. Consider the
difficulties of running the cables to a single server for all tuners
versus the added cost of having multiple PCs running.

If the master backend is not functioning you have no tv available
through Myth... so you always have a single point of failure with a
myth system. To alleviate concerns about throughput of a single
system...

I have a friend using GBPVR and he has successfully recorded every MUX
on freeview simultaneously, 40tv channels (all standard definition)
and 30 radio channels (at a guess), to a single 7200rpm sata drive -
sure this was a simply dump to the filesystem... no processing going
on... unlike myth when recording, as Myth breaks channels out of the
mux and looks for keyframes and updates the database with the keyframe
location. but nonetheless.... impressive that a PC can handle this
much data.

And I have a single backend with 6 tuners in it; 4 for standard
definition and 2 for high-def and I can record using all
simultaneously.