[mythtv-users] Mytharchive and jpeg2yuv

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Fri Jan 21 10:14:25 UTC 2011

My experience with MythArchive is that it is reliable if it is given
clean recordings in mpeg2 format that don't require cutting.  I use as
few as possible of the internal recoding facilities - except for
resizing via the requantiser.  I use Project-X both inside MythArchive
and in a preprocessing script that strips off all but one video and one
audio stream and does the cutting.  I create .iso images and try playing
them before burning.  My main problem now is the lack of a cataloguing
system for the dvds that I have burned.

These restrictions will not suit everyone, and the internal player still
has problems with MythArchive's non-animated menus.

MythArchive as it is now offers many facilities for additional
processing, most of which may well work given perfect data; but if there
are defects in the recording one of the many steps may fail with no
obvious way to pick up the pieces.  Sometimes the only evidence of
failure is a defective dvd.

If you have recordings in other formats I think you should first try to
transcode to mpeg2 format in the desired resolution and cut outside
MythArchive. Reading the mythburn.py script may suggest ways for doing
this, but you'll probably be disappointed if you expect all the
processes to complete without any problem with real recordings.

These tickets provide a few more links:

     http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8376
     http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9389

John P