[mythtv-users] OTA/DTV tuner-card related questions, recommendations

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 17:33:50 UTC 2011

James Miller wrote:
>  will traditional 10/100 provide sufficient throughput for the HDHR?

Yes, SD DVB or ATSC is typically in the order of 2mbps, HD more but
still nothing you won't handle with a 100mbps network.

>In any case, I get cable through the PVR150, so I can't use it for
>OTA capture via the Zinwell converter box. So if I were to use the
>converter box, I'd be running it through the BT878--unless I bought
>another PVR150 or similar--something I've not opposed to, by the way.

If buying something new, get a digital capture card - there really
isn't a lot of sense in converting from digital to analogue and then
redigitising it.

Stepping back a bit in the thread, I'd suggest you have another look
at what you are receiving OTA. Over here in the UK, most of our
terrestrial is SD - HD is fairly new and transmitted with a different
coding (DVB-T2) which needs new hardware. Whilst I'm not aware of you
having any standards problem like that to deal with (ie like us
needing DVB-T2 hardware), there is a big commercial incentive to keep
to SD as you can fit a lot more SD channels in a given multiplex than
you can HD channels.

If a substantial quantity of what you can get (and want to watch) is
only SD - then all the discussion about whether your system can
handle HD is moot.

--
Simon Hobson