[mythtv-users] Hitachi 3T drives - reliable?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Jan 20 03:40:08 UTC 2011

> The drives are full again, and I'm thinking of upgrading to Hitachi
> "Deathstar" 3T HDDs.

Can your system handle 3TB drives? Most system's bioses could not
handle the full capacity (even on the newest computers), which is the
reason that Western Digital was shipping a controller card with their
3TB hard drives. Also, for Windows I believe you need to be running a
64-bit version to use the full space, but I don't know whether that's
true for linux too (just in case you're not on 64-bit already). I
don't know the full details...just recall briefly reading about it
several months ago. Make sure you look into that before making any
purchases.

--
Ron