[mythtv-users] PS3 keys

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Jan 19 20:46:34 UTC 2011

On 1/19/2011 15:17, Richard Morton wrote:
> And according to the wikipedia article the PS3 has only a geforce 7x00
> series graphics chip, so you couldnt offload to that for playback with
> vdpau.
>
> "Based on NV47 Chip (Nvidia GeForce 7800 Architecture)"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSX_'Reality_Synthesizer'
>
> So it would have to be a highly parallel software video decoder
> written for the SPEs.

Correct.  You can't just install the nVidia drivers and call it a day.
I have no idea if the PS3 has a separate decoding engine, but with no
documentation on it, implementing use of it would be a more difficult
prospect than writing a new video decoder from scratch.

That leaves the SPEs.  While the SPEs have gobs of raw potential, they
are an architecture designed for one limited purpose, and are vastly
different than the x86 or even PPC chips most people are used to using.
If anything, they are somewhat close in function to the SIMD units found
in SSE, 3dNow, and Altivec.  As mentioned several times, access to the
SPEs has been available since the PS3 was first released over four years
ago, and removing the hypervisor does not change anything.

There was a project spu-medialib
(http://wiki.ps2dev.org/ps3:spu-medialib) intended to write such a video
decoder using the SPEs, but the furthest they ever got was scaling and
colorspace conversion, effectively Xv.  While certainly nothing to laugh
at, video scaling is relatively easy, and just requires sufficiently
optimized code to fit within the performance envelope of your hardware.
Its a far far cry from actually decoding video.  The project made a good
start, but never seemed to progress any further beyond that.

Sure, we have a negative attitude, and aren't thinking happy thoughts,
but history hasn't given us any reason to behave otherwise.  The PS3 was
interesting as a Linux platform four years ago.  Today, it's just
another piece of old hardware that can be cheaply replaced with
something better.