[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 01:57:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 05:00:38PM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> >     I first saw this myself with the original AppleTV. I pretty much
>> >disabled all of the power management on my ATV to ensure that the
>> >device was running at it's full potential. I also powered it off
>> >completely when it wasn't being used.
>>
>> You had to do that on the AppleTV because at full tilt, the
>> combination of that processor with XvMC was still marginal for HD
>> MPEG2 playback.
>
>   It also had a nasty habit of throttling the NIC otherwise. That
> seemed to be an even bigger issue for HD MPEG2 playback than even
> raw CPU horsepower. MPEG2 is bulky stuff.

Yeah, I was really disappointed when mpeg2 was chosen for the initial
atsc rollout..  I mean most of us here that are mid aged remember
mpeg4ip (vlc's parents)..  That was way back over 12 years ago...
That was stable then..  I think DVDs and the abnility to not change
encoding equipment probably helped that decision..  It's a lot like a
mythtv system.  You do not want to change too many things at once
until you (and it) are tried and true  :)

Still disappointing like you said.