[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Tue Jan 18 23:47:31 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> That's not at all true.  The only time I have ever heard of clock stepping
> causing problems with VDPAU playback were on older AMD systems using
> integrated nVidia video.  The memory controller would downclock with the
> processor, and since the graphics chip had no memory of its own, it would be
> starved for bandwidth and stutter.  This is not the case when using modern
> processors, and was never the case when using discrete graphics.

This is not my experience. With a discrete 9500 card, I have to ensure
that my Athlon 5050e doesn't clock at its slowest rate (1GHz) or else
VDPAU stutters. I have to keep it at the next lowest speed (1.8GHz)
for stutter-free playback. I still haven't gotten around to playing
with the new MythTV event system so that I can change the minimum
speed when playback starts and stops...
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,